Friday, August 29, 2008

Governor Palin--You Remember Katrina, Don't You?

New Orleans, three years ago.

Oh, come on, yes you do.

No? Okay, I think I've got some photos...I'm sure they'll jog your memory. I mean, I thought the whole world remembered Katrina:

She was a wirlwind, to say the least.

But then came floodwater...



...and Blackwater.


For a huge venue like the Superdome, the excitement level was unfortunately pretty low:


Honestly, I'm surprised that here we are--three years to the day, in fact!--and all these breathless reporters like Maria Bartiromo keep chattering about your state's rich oil reserves and how wonderfully helpful it will be for John McCain to have someone who knows all the ins and outs (and downs and downs) of the oil-drilling business (you do, don't you?) by his side.

But no-one's mentioned Kyoto, or the carbon thing. I do think Maria said "caribou" once.

Anyway, forgive me for stating the obvious, but ferocious, city-drowning hurricanes will only increase in severity and intensity as the oceans warm up courtesy of fossil-fuel emissions contributing to an already-carbon-choked atmosphere. (We're Number One! by the way.) By forestalling a national commitment to investing in and developing clean alternative energy (and forestalling it is what drilling here or anywhere will accomplish)--and since American LSC is just as carbony as the Saudi variety--the oil companies, their employees in the federal government, and the media organs who love them are guaranteeing that Earth continues on its disastrous path toward melting ice caps, violent weather, and all manner of far-reaching disasters.

So when Ms. Bartiromo said that in a very recent interview, you explained that you were thrilled to bits (so to speak) about drilling in the ANWAR, because hey, it's only an itty-bitty percentage of the overall land mass you were talking about, so the environment wouldn't be harmed, I realized you must have completely forgotten about Katrina and all the warming stuff. But don't feel too badly--I think most of the press have, too.

Anyway, I'm happy to remind you.

Also at Cogitamus.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you have printed here.
    free online games

    ReplyDelete